Frequent Questions

Who is required to buy recycled content products?

The RCRA requirement to buy products containing recovered materials applies to procuring agencies that spend more than 10,000 a year on that item. Procuring agencies are federal, state, and local agencies, and their contractors, that use appropriated federal funds. For example, if a county agency spends more than 10,000 a year on an EPA-designated item, and part of that money is from appropriated federal funds, then the agency must purchase that item made from recovered materials. Agencies may elect not to purchase designated items when the cost is unreasonable; inadequate competition exists; items are not available within a reasonable period of time; or items do not meet the agency's reasonable performance specifications. More information can be obtained at:

Have more questions? Submit a request