Frequent Questions

I am looking for information about sewage sludge, sanitary sewers, septic systems, or anything to do with animal or human waste.

The subject of your question is out of scope for the EPA's Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery.  However, there are several places you can try: 

For complaints about sewage and manure odors or leaks, we suggest you contact your local health department; the phone number can usually be found in the "blue pages" of your phone book.  You may also wish to contact your state health or environmental agency.

EPA's Septic Systems Web Site - provides information to homeowners and assistance to state and local governments to improve the management of septic systems to prevent failures that could harm human health and water quality.

National Small Flows Clearinghouse (NSFC)  Exit EPA - provides technical assistance and information services about "small flows" (1 million gallons or less per day) wastewater treatment systems. 

Rural Community Assistance Program (RCAP) Exit EPA - provides technical assistance and training related to rural drinking water supply and wastewater treatment needs, rural solid waste programs, housing, economic development, comprehensive community assessment and planning, and environmental regulations.

EPA's Biosolid Web Site - provides information about biosolids, the nutrient-rich organic materials resulting from the treatment of sewage sludge which can be safely recycled and applied as a soil fertilizer.

EPA's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Web Site - provides information about the NPDES program which controls water pollution by regulating point sources, such as pipes or man-made ditches, that discharge pollutants into lakes, rivers or streams.

Have more questions? Submit a request