Frequent Questions

What is the difference between the Hazardous Waste Combustion National Emission Standards for HAPs (NESHAP) and the Hazardous Waste Combustion Maximum Achievable Control Technology (MACT) standards?

We use the terms Hazardous Waste Combustion NESHAP and Hazardous Waste Combustion MACT standards interchangeably when discussing the national emission standards established under section 112(d) of the Clean Air Act (CAA) for hazardous waste combustion devices. Section 112(d) of the CAA requires that EPA establish national emission standards for each major source category and any area source category that is of particular concern. These standards are referred to as national emission standards for hazardous air pollutants, or NESHAP. The CAA further requires that the standards represent the maximum degree of emission reduction that can be achieved for each source category based on an analysis of the maximum achievable control technology, or MACT.

For more informaiton, see

Have more questions? Submit a request