Frequent Questions

What are some household hazardous wastes?

Household hazardous wastes include paint, mineral spirits, batteries, and used oil. Hazardous wastes that are generated in the home are not regulated by the federal RCRA program. Many communities provide collection centers or pick-up services for the management of household hazardous waste. Local recycling centers or fire departments may be able to provide more information about locations and details.

Homeowners can also use products that are non-hazardous or less hazardous and should use only the amount needed for a project. Leftover materials can be shared with neighbors, donated to a business charity or government agency, or dropped off at a local household hazardous waste program collection site. Information on proper use of home and garden chemicals, as well as safer alternatives can be found at EPA's Office of Prevention, Pesticides, and Toxic Substances Web site for concerned citizens.

For more information see:

Have more questions? Submit a request