Frequent Questions

How does a hazardous waste generator, transporter, or treatment, storage, and disposal facility obtain an EPA identification (ID) number?

All persons who generate, transport, recycle, treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste are required to notify EPA of their hazardous waste activities. EPA ID numbers are obtained by filing EPA Form 8700-12, Notification of Regulated Waste Activity (PDF), (58 pp, 760 K) with the appropriate EPA Regional or authorized state RCRA office (11 pp, 470 K) (Sections 262.12, 263.12, and 264.11).

Have more questions? Submit a request