Less food in the trash can save you money in several ways:
- Avoided purchase costs through food waste prevention strategies.
- Avoided service costs by using fewer or smaller trash bins.
- Reduction in garbage bill by less frequent trash collection for commercial generators.
- Your local hauler might discount separate collection for organics.
- Eliminate purchase of additional soil amendments for onsite landscaping through onsite composting.
- If long-term disposal and diversion costs are comparable, choose the option that helps meet EPA's waste diversion goals and uses resources more wisely.