Frequent Questions

Where can I find information about EPA regulations of ?chat? (granular mine tailing)?

Chat, a local term for mining waste, is a lead/zinc mining waste from the Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri tri-state mining district. Chat, also known as granular mine tailings, is composed of chert-like material, containing lead, zinc and cadmium contaminants. In July 2007, EPA finalized criteria for the environmentally protective use of chat in transportation construction projects carried out in whole or in part with federal funds. For more information visit:

Have more questions? Submit a request