Frequent Questions

How will EPA know what compounds are being emitted from a hazardous waste combustion device?

Under the Hazardous Waste Combustion MACT Rule, facilities are required to test and quantify the emissions for dioxin/furans, mercury, semivolatile metals, low volatile metals, total chlorine, particulate matter, principal organic hazardous constituents (for destruction and removal demonstrations) and hydrocarbons and/or carbon monoxide. Additionally, many facilities are being required to conduct (or have already conducted) site-specific risk assessments (SSRA) as part of their RCRA permitting process. EPA published two new guidance documents last year to help facilities in conducting an SSRA: the risk burn guidance (Guidance on Collection of Emissions Data to Support Site-Specific Risk Assessments at Hazardous Waste Combustion Facilities, Peer Review Draft, August 1998) and the risk assessment guidance (Human Health Risk Assessment Protocol for Hazardous Waste Combustion Facilities, Peer Review Draft, July 1998). The risk burn guidance identifies appropriate stack sampling and analytical techniques for collection of emissions data such as dioxins and furans, organics emissions other than dioxin/furans, metals, particle-size distribution, and hydrogen chloride and molecular chlorine.

For more information, see

Have more questions? Submit a request