Frequent Questions

What emission reductions will be achieved because of the Hazardous Waste Combustion Emission Standards?

The standards will achieve significant reductions for some of the top priority pollutants for EPA -- dioxins and furans by 70%, mercury by 55%, cadmium and lead by 88%, and three other toxic metals by 75%. 

The standards will also reduce particulate matter emissions by 42%, and acid gas emissions (hydrochloric acid and chlorine) by 48%.
 
The standards are based on Maximum Achievable Control Technologies (MACTs), an approach required by the Clean Air Act. MACT reflects the maximum degree of hazardous air pollution reduction that can be achieved considering the availability, current use, costs, benefits, and impacts of emissions control technologies. 

The three categories of facilities covered in this rule burn more than 80 percent of the total amount of hazardous waste being combusted each year. (The remaining 15 to 20 percent is burned in industrial boilers and other types of industrial furnaces, which will be addressed in a later rulemaking.)

For more information, see http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/combust/.
Have more questions? Submit a request